The Department of Extension and Communication started in the year 1953 as Home Science Education and Extension. In 1960, under Ford Foundation project, M. Sc. Programme was introduced with specialisation in Education and Extension. Over the years, M. Phil and Ph. D programmes along with P.G. Diploma in Extension Education was initiated. In 1996 it was named Home Science Extension & Communication. The nomenclature of the Department was changed to Extension and Communication keeping in mind the profound impact of the socio-cultural changes in the larger sphere of human activity and the nomenclature of the P.G. Diploma in Extension Education was changed to P.G. Diploma in Development Management. Extension and Communication has passed through lot of developments and positive changes which have further brought about changes in subject matter or content which the academicians, extension personnel and development practitioners need to keep them informed about and thus incorporate such knowledge into all dimensions of Education, Research and Extension. This also made it important and necessary to revise and update the curriculum in line with the needs and developments that have taken place in Extension as well as Communication, world over, to achieve the development goals. The Department of Extension and Communication is preparing students since 1953and training them in the theories and practices of modern communication process with special reference to extension, both, rural and urban. The Department has updated its curriculum and revised it to make it more relevant to the today’s information society and the needs arising from all spheres of the community including vulnerable sections of the society, thus laying a foundation for development. The courses offered help the students to conceptualise and develop various communication methods and materials for formal and non-formal educational set-ups. The focus is on extension programme planning, implementation and evaluation; make students eligible for employment in the community development programmes with government and non-government organisations. The graduate programmes of the department open up avenues for post graduate studies in the department along with other areas of specialisation namely social work, mass communication, journalism, advertising and public relations. The post graduate studies lead students to careers in teaching, research, communication, planning and administration of specialised service in extension or social welfare agencies. Over all the students are trained as Extension Personnel, Development Communicators and Practitioners who professionally practice and contribute towards the growth and development of Society.
OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT
1. To appreciate the contributions of communication revolutions leading to or facilitating national developments.
2. To develop the abilities of the students at undergraduate and post-graduate level in producing media and communication strategies for effective education, extension and development communication.
3. To develop the abilities of the students and further train them for systematic and scientific planning, conducting or implementing as well as evaluation and follow-up of urban and rural extension and development programmes intended for national development.
4. To establish and strengthen linkages with NGO’s, GO’s and public sector by liasioning and networking for better and effective implementation of the development programmes.
5. To train students for as well as develop and sharpen their abilities for conducting research in the areas of education, research and extension for development communication.
To be an eminent Centre of Development Communication that addresses the needs of family, community and nation for mobilisation and participation of masses, gender equity, sustainable development through its interdisciplinary training and multifaceted curriculum.
Department strives to train students to work as Professional Development Practitioners and researchers. The Department creates an environment of excellence by offering strong theoretical foundations and reach practical experiences in grooming professional who can contribute to the nation’s participatory development processes and communications.
Head of Department
Prof.(Dr.)Anjali Pahad Department of Extension & Communication
Designation: Professor & Head
Qualification: Ph.D. in HSEC Phone Nos: 02652795522 Email: email@example.com
Experience: 20 years of teaching and research Areas of Interest: * Media and communication studies Read more >>